Independent Online

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Still no arrests after EFF members allegedly damaged property, cars and made threats during August march in Phoenix

In August thousands of EFF supporters marched through the streets of Phoenix after about 36 people were killed by vigilante groups during the July unrest in KwaZulu-Natal. Picture: Bongani Mbatha /African News Agency (ANA)

In August thousands of EFF supporters marched through the streets of Phoenix after about 36 people were killed by vigilante groups during the July unrest in KwaZulu-Natal. Picture: Bongani Mbatha /African News Agency (ANA)

Published Dec 28, 2021

Share

DURBAN – No arrests have been made since EFF members marched through the streets of Phoenix, north of Durban, in August 2021, and allegedly damaged property, cars and made threats of violence.

This was according to Police Minister Bheki Cele who was responding to a parliamentary written question by DA KwaZulu-Natal chairperson Dean Macpherson.

Story continues below Advertisement

In August thousands of EFF supporters marched through the streets of Phoenix after about 36 people were killed by vigilante groups during the July unrest in KwaZulu-Natal.

Macpherson had asked Cele was action he had taken with regard to CAS 108/08/2021 to hold the EFF responsible for damage caused to property, cars and threats of violence made during a march by the EFF in Phoenix.

Macpherson said the question was based on calls they had received from the community who had told the DA that their properties had been damaged. The residents had reported it to the police, yet nothing had been done.

In his response, Cele said a task team of detective service members was established in the Phoenix police station to investigate the matter. The task team was currently conducting enquiries with the view to obtain eyewitness statements.

“The complainant alleges that there is video footage, which could help identify the suspects. Several attempts have been made by the task team to locate the video footage, with no positive results.

“Up to date, no suspects have been identified. Once the suspects have been identified by witnesses, as well as video footage, thereafter arrests will be made,” he said.

Story continues below Advertisement

Cele said the task team was also in the process of tracing the organisers of the march, to obtain their statements. The case docket will be submitted to the National Prosecuting Authority, for prosecutor-guided investigation.

Daily News

Share